The extensive renovation and addition works to this spectacular home have been very carefully constructed so that there is no distinction between the old house and the new house.
The main attributing factor to this and also the main feature of the whole house, is the high quality of the external brickwork.
We made it our mission to make sure the old and new external walls matched.
The selected dry pressed bricks were extensively sourced and were blended and laid in a manner to resemble the existing face brickwork as close as possible. A total success. We are proud of the result and honoured to receive the MBA’s Best Use of Brick award.
The original house:
The existing house on this project was your typical Californian bungalow found in Sydney’s inner west area of Concord. It was built on a large level block of land in the 1930,s and was found with all its original building work but in a very poor and rundown state.
The frontage of the house is similar to others in the area and therefore has a “Heritage Condition” which does not allow it to be demolished or altered.
The owners purchased the property as they loved the character of the original home and wanted to renovate it using the same features throughout. However they didn’t want to build a complete period style home. They wanted to blend some of the old with some of the latest modern features and create a great luxury home.
The new house:
The old existing rooms of the house were completely stripped out and restored to their exact original glory if not better.
The new areas tie in with the old, by having the original look of the old timberwork exactly replicated throughout all the internal areas.
The ground floor has been extended back to create the new kitchen and large open plan living areas.
A new first floor has been added to create the bedroom areas.
A new two car detached garage at the back and inground heated pool and spa.
• Four bedrooms, Ensuite, Study, Games room, Meals and family room areas, Kids retreat and a Wine cellar,
• Full brick on a concrete slab construction to the ground floor.
• Brick veneer and timber floor frame construction to the first floor.
• Dry pressed bricks to the external walls. They were laid to appear as if they have been tuck pointed when viewed from a distance.
• The original brickwork was in very poor condition. They were carefully cleaned and detailed, then were tuckpointed as they once were originally.
• Replacement of all the old plaster ornate ceilings and cornices with the new ones, with the same original designs.
• Aluminium framed, pitched Glass roof over the meals area.
• C- Bus home automated electrical wiring.
• Network cabling throughout for audio,visual and data.
• Gas Jetmaster fireplace with limestone surrounds.
• Ducted Air Conditioning
• Modern kitchen with custom made joinery, quartz benchtop and travertine splash back. Also has a custom made Stainless steel island bench with an integrated sink.
• Extensive use of clear Oregon and cedar to reproduce the stained timber doors, skirtings, architraves and picture rails as found in the original home.
• Custom made joinery cedar windows and doors throughout. Traditional style windows to the bedrooms to replicate the originals.
• Stained glass designs to most of the windows.
• Sydney Blue gum hardwood staircase with feature hardwood balustrading.
• Timber veneer wardrobes.
• Custom hand made replicas of the existing door handles.
• Sydney Blue Gum hardwood flooring to the first floor. Laid using techniques to provide great acoustic properties to the rooms below and have that solid feel under the foot.
• Large format 1200x 600 polished porcelain tiles to the main living areas.
• Large Italian porcelain non slip tiles to the external balconies and pool surrounds.
• Ground floor – Hard set plaster and painted with feature colours.
• First Floor – Plasterboard and feature paint colours.
• Gas heated swimming pool and spa. Bisazza Italian glass mosaics used.
• Water feature to the swimming pool. Has a “sheer decent” waterfall and a overflowing weir to the feature wall panels.
• Frameless glass pool fencing and gates.
• Clay brick pavers to the driveway and back yard.
• Completely landscaped with automated irrigation.
• 6000 litres capacity of rainwater tanks.